Friday, April 11, 2008

Homemade Granola

I tried making granola yesterday. It turned out so good and was so easy! My kids have actually been eating it!!! I liked it because it is all natural and you can add or omit what ever you like. I added extra dried fruit.
Homemade Granola

4 cups rolled oats
2 cups six grain cereal (can use 6 cups of oats instead of cereal)
½ cup wheat germ
½ cup ribbon coconut
1 cup nuts - whole or chopped (walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans)
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 cup raisins or other dried fruit (dates, craisins etc.)
¾ cup honey
¾ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vanilla
½ cup honey

Mix grains, nuts, seeds and coconut together. Pour oil and honey over mixture and stir well. Spread on well greased cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, stir every 10 minutes. Take out of oven and mix in the fruit, vanilla and ½ cup honey. Put back in oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Stir well and allow to cool. Serve with milk or eat alone as a snack. Store in a tightly sealed container. Refrigerate if kept long. For variety add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon nutmeg. This granola is nutritionally high in protein and the B vitamins.

3 comments:

Jaci Moore said...

That looks so good. I can't wait to make it. I poured the stuff that you gave me in a little bowl and was eating it with milk, and somehow spastically I spilled like the whole thing on my lap. Oops!!

Mindy said...

I'll have to bring you another bag!

Carrie Reeder said...

That sounds really good. I want to try making it this weekend. :)